Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Holy Turkey Loaf

So we live out a bit from town. Good thing is we don't eat out a lot, which is better for you health wise and money wise. Bad thing- we have to cook A LOT! Luckily, with Pinterest around I am always motivated to cook new things and try new things! It keeps it fun, and the husband cannot complain because he does not have to help cook anymore BUT he still helps me clean! What a nice man I have!

So one of my new years resolutions was to "Eat Clean" Well... I really just need to eat healthier Not breads and pastas and butter, no fried foods and frozen foods, etc. The husband on the other hand is not a healthy eater. This can bring up a challenge when cooking, but I always go with a healthy meat (ground turkey, chicken, fish), and then do a veggie for me and something for him! He has adapted to a lot of the dishes well!! He likes ground turkey, and ask long as I chop the onions small he eats them in any recipe! WIN!!

We started meal planning as well, and Thursday Nights menu item was "Turkey Meat Loaf" Well Husband had a couple of friends out yday evening, and I told him "Tell them we are having meatloaf and they are more than welcome to stay but do not have to" I get nervous when cooking first time meals for other people, even if it was just my brother in law and another guy who is always around our house! Anyways, this meat loaf, which was changed to "Turkey Loaf" by the boys, was a hit! They all devoured it and said I can make them it anytime! I wanted to share the recipe for anyone who is interested in trying! Its delicious and healthy! Cannot beat that! Oh, and husband and I never eat meatloaf, so even if you are not a meatloaf fanatic I would still give it a try!

Disclaimer: I only used 1 pound of Ground Turkey, so therefore I adjusted the other ingredients according to using a pound. I do not strictly measure on any recipes, I just estimate a lot!**

Turkey Meatloaf

Ingredients (Yields 6)
         1 1/2  pounds  lean ground turkey 
         1  onion, chopped
         1  cup  fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
         1/2  cup  whole-wheat bread crumbs
         2  tablespoons  Dijon mustard
         1  large egg white
         Kosher salt and black pepper
         1/4  cup  ketchup
      
Directions
1.Heat oven to 400° F. In a bowl, combine the turkey, onion, spinach, parsley, bread crumbs, mustard, egg white, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
2.Transfer the mixture to a baking sheet and form it into a 10-inch loaf. Spread with the ketchup. Bake until cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes.

I served the meatloaf with mashed potatoes (for the husband) and broccoli

No comments:

Post a Comment